Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

I've been making this for years, and now cringe when I have to use canned pasta sauce.  I usually make a big batch and either freeze half or use the leftovers for a baked pasta dish the next day.
I manage to cram a ton of veggies in, even my veggie hating husband can't complain, though.
Please, give this recipe a try.

(I am not a measurer, so my ingredients list may be a bit vague.  Edit it to fit your tastes.)

Ingredients:
1 lb. Ground Deer, or Beef
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Medium Sweet Yellow Onion, chopped
3-4 Carrots, minced
1 Green Pepper, chopped
2-3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
2 Cans of Crushed Tomatoes
1 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
1 Tbsp. Dried Basil, or 2 Tbsp Fresh
A Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp. Salt


*Brown the ground deer/beef in a medium size saucepan.  Drain and set aside.
*Heat the olive oil in the same pan.  Slowly cook the onions, carrots and peppers until they're soft.  Add the garlic, stirring it so it doesn't burn.  Add the oregano, basil and red pepper, stirring for a minute.  Then add the tomatoes.  Add salt to taste.
*Simmer until the flavors meld, at least 45 minutes.  Up to a few hours.  The longer it cooks, the thicker the sauce will get.  You can thin it with more crushed or chopped tomatoes.
*Serve over whole wheat noodles with parmesan cheese.

I would show you a picture of the sauce over noodles, but it didn't last long enough on anyone's plate to take one.  So, here's one in the pan, simmering.


I know you are all going to try this soon - let me know what you think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment