Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Unidentified Chicks

Is anyone a chicken expert?

I ordered 38 chicks this spring.  12 Ameraucana, 8 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and 8 Seramas.

Of the 38, only 20 were shipped.  Of the 20, only 15 made it alive.  Of the 15, only 13 made it past the first day.

Of the 13, only 2 are the breed I ordered.
2 Seramas.

I mostly wanted the Ameraucanas.  They're the breed I want to build my flock with.  But, sadly, their Ameraucanas went broody, (that means they want to sit on eggs and hatch them), when it came time for them to collect for my order.

They substituted the Ameraucanas with Olive Egger chicks.  That means they bred either their Ameraucana rooster or hen with a dark egg layer, probably a Maran.

I received one Wyandotte, but it's black laced red.  This is the second time I've tried to raise BLRW and failed.  boo.

So, I have 13 chicks.  I know for sure what the Seramas are.  I know what they Wyandotte is.

What are the other 10?

5 of them look similar, and of those 5, 3 are roos and 2 pullets.


The others, I can't figure out.

One has a mohawk.  I call him Rod Stewart.


You can't really see him, he's hiding in the back.

I guess it will be interesting to see what these chicks grow into.  In the meantime, I think I'll get an incubator and purchase some Ameraucana eggs and hatch them on my own...

I shared this post at Barnyard Hop

2 comments:

  1. LOL... what are the odds. A similar thing happened to me this spring too. I have mystery chicks as well. It's wonderful when life throws you an adventure! Keep us posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holliday Smith - Avalon AcresJune 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

    sounds like you need to buy from a different place!

    ReplyDelete