Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pumpkin Sweet Potato Chili

I'm still here - don't worry.  I'm just enjoying my life.


I don't have a lot of time.  Especially on Wednesdays.  I teach at my girls' school all day, then we have soccer practice.  We usually get home around 6pm.

I love cooking healthy for my family.  I don't have time when we get home on Wednesdays to cook a meal.  I hate having to pick up pizza on the way home.

I decided to start using my crock pot again.

But, what to make in it?


I am well known for my regular chili.  Although it's never the same way twice, it's still good each time.


I recently came across a couple of recipes that convinced me to try to change my recipe.  And, it turned out so good that I decided it was time to blow the dust off the old blog and share it.



Pumpkin Sweet Potato Chili
1/2 Sweet Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Tbs. Coconut Oil, (or you can use Olive Oil)
1 Green Pepper, chopped
2 Stalks of Celery, chopped
2 Carrots, diced
3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
4 cups of Chicken Broth
2 Large cans of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
2 cooked and cubed Chicken Breasts
1 15oz can Pumpkin Puree, (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 large can of Diced Tomatoes, (I LOVE fire roasted ones)
1 pkg. Chili Seasoning mix, (yes, I cheat)
1 Tbs. Dried Oregano

In a skillet, melt the coconut oil, add the onions, green pepper, celery and carrots and cook them over low heat until soft.  Add the garlic and cook another minute.  Add this mixture to your crock pot.
Cook the sweet potatoes in a small pot of boiling water for 8-10 minutes until slightly soft.  Drain and add to the crock pot.
Add the chicken broth, black beans, chicken breast, pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, chili seasoning and dried oregano to the crock pot.  Cook on low for at least 6 hours.

Check seasoning and see if it needs more spices or salt.  You can season it with chili powder or cumin, those are common ingredients in a pkt of chili seasoning.  Red pepper flakes and more oregano are also nice.

Serve with your choice of toppings.  We like an assortment of plain greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, minced onion, oyster crackers or corn chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment