Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

30 Minute Yeast Rolls

Today was a beautiful day.  65*.  In January.  What?

So, I didn't spend much time in the kitchen.  I spent it outside.  I cleaned out the front garden, pruned the lavendar, pulled out the old flower stems, swept the mulch back into the beds that the chickens had scratched out.

We went to the science fair at school.  The children had the most creative experiments.  I was really impressed.  I mean, who comes up with the idea to see which color m&m melts fastest in the microwave?

When it came time to plan dinner, I wanted something fast.  We picked up some tilapia, planned it with rice, asparagus and corn.  I wanted bread, but didn't decide this until after 4pm.  Even my fastest breads take a couple of hours to rise.  I didn't want to settle for cornbread or biscuits, so I hit Google and found a recipe for 30 minute rolls.  I couldn't believe it was true.  but, was it???

Yep, it was.  Here they are.  So yummy.  I will adjust the recipe next time, and I've adjusted for my adjustments below.  I'm considering adding some honey, too, but that's an experiment for another day.

30 Minute Yeast Rolls

ingredients:
1 cup + 2 T. warm water
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I may try coconut oil next time)
2 T yeast
1/4 cup sugar (I'm going to add 1/4 c honey, too, next time)

3/4 tsp. salt (this I adjusted.  It may even need more.)
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 1/2 cups flour

Mix the first 4 ingredients and let them sit for a few minutes, until the yeast begins to bubble.
Add the salt and egg, begin beating.  A stand mixer is best, of course, but you can do this by hand with a wooden spoon.
Add the flour and mix it until the gluten makes it smooth.  Form it into 12 balls and put them on a silpat or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  Let them raise for about 15 minutes.
Bake in a preheated 400* oven for about 15 minutes.  Brush the tops with butter as soon as you take them out of the oven.
Serve with butter and your favorite roll topping.



Tomorrow promises to be an even nicer day.  I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, those look delicious! And basic enough to make possibly in a college dorm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is actually watering thinking about these. I've been sick the past week and really want a nice roll with some soup right now!

    ReplyDelete