So, I didn't freeze any. I saved some for the girls to snack on, they love them. And, I used some to make a pie - the easiest pie ever! I am not a pie maker, mine are always too runny. But, this looked so simple, I couldn't not try it. I got the recipe for the crust from this web site Mennonite girls can cook.
It called for 2 cups of crisco - a lot! But, the crust was huge, so I don't feel so bad about eating it.
She used rhubarb, I just used the same amount of blueberries - 6 cups.
Here's the recipe:
Tender Pie Crust
- Put the flour, salt and shortening into a bowl. Cut in the Crisco.
- Beat egg whites till stiff
- Combine egg yolk & vinegar & water - and butter flavoring.
- Now combine these three bowls and yes it will look a bit mushy, but don't add too much flour. This one needs be be handled with more care. Keep it light and fluffy.
- Divide into halves and roll out the first half to the measurement of your cookie sheet. I used a jelly roll pan that I had sprayed to prevent sticking.
Really simple - just 5-6 cups of fruit, I used blueberries. Troy has requested that I use strawberries next time. Spread them onto the bottom crust. Sprinkle them with 1c - 1 1/2c of sugar. Top with the other crust layer. Sprinkle the top layer with sugar. Bake at 425*F for 20 minutes.
So yummy - and not runny!!!
I can't not leave you with this picture of Averie and the hose :)