Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Garden Update

My garden seems to be doing well this year. Despite an attack of potato beetles, hornworms and cabbage worms, each plant seems to be thriving.  I have many green tomatoes on my plants, (grown from seed for the first time ever - yes, I'm proud!!!), and a nearly ready green pepper.  I've had flowers blooming for a month with many more to come.  I just noticed baby cucumbers today.  I started my squash, melons and beans late, but they're growing quickly.

I tried a new way of staking my tomatoes this year.  I can't remember what it's called, if anyone knows, please inform me???  It's working so good - I love it!  You just put a stake at the end of each row, one between every 2 plants, and run twine between them.  You basically prop the tomatoes as they grow.  It's way better than the usual cages.

This is how they look staked:


And, this is how the twine looks run between the stakes.


This is how big my black tomatoes were about 4 days ago.  They're bigger and starting to change color now!

I also ran a trellis for the cucumbers.  They're just getting big enough to train them up the trellis.


I have a green pepper nearly ready to pick.

Can you see it there in between the leaves?

And, the beets.  They pretty much died when i planted them, but a few surprised me and came back to life.  I need to plant more, once these are closer to ready, so I can have them ready in the fall.
(yes, it's wilty.  The sprinkler misses this corner, we have to water it by hand, and it was forgotten for a day or two.)


I also have a ton of herbs - thyme, oregano, lavender, mints, (in pots), rosemary, tarragon and some HUGE basil.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. That is so great that you can grow all this stuff! I kill everything. Ha!

    ReplyDelete