Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Recipe: Chicken and Dumplings

I grew up on the east coast.  I moved to the midwest after I married my husband.  In the midwest, they try to make some sort of chicken and noodles, but, they have it wrong.  I guess maybe they're making egg noodles?  You don't need eggs!

This is for all you midwesterners wishing you knew how to make yummy noodles.  (We call them "dumplins" around here.)

~Cook some chicken in a pot.  I use split breasts and cook them in some chicken stock, onion and celery.

~Make the dumplins:
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. shortening
1/3 c. water

Mix everything together, add the water a little at a time.  Roll out cracker thin.  Slice into rectangles.



(I like to at least double this recipe.)

Remove the chicken from the pot and shred.  Set aside.

Slide the dumplings into the pot, sort of laying them flat/sideways a few at a time.  Stir them to keep them from sticking.  After they've cooked, add the chicken back in.

I like to serve them with boiled potatoes and peas.



Yummy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment